Staten Island Web logo

The Dalai Lama, speaking on the importance of Love and Kindess explained why he was smiling even in the face of the destruction of Tibet by the Chinese. He said:

"My mission is to express my feeling about the importance of kindness, compassion, and the true sense of brotherhood. If I practiced anger or jealousy or bitterness, no doubt my smile would disappear."

Hate begets hate, and love begets love. If we want to change the world for the better, we cannot respond with violence, anger, or cruelty - even towards those who may be mistreating us. That will ensure that the cycle of misery continues. This is not to say that we don't have a right to protect ourselves (the Dalai Lama, for example, left Tibet so that he would not be imprisoned or killed) but it does mean that we must be scrupulously careful not to contribute our measure to the hate that is already abundant in the world, by instead practicing love and compassion - even towards those who may have wounded us.

We each have at least one person we have thrown out of our hearts for bad behavior... can we make room in our heart today for this person so that you will add to the compassion in the world and diminish the hate by at least one person?

~*Donna*~

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.