Staten Island Web logo

Jamie Danskin' 94 is an all-star person. She has a full-time career as an occupational therapist, keeps the schedule of a world-class athlete, cares for her active three-old-son, takes the courses load of a part-time college student, and maintains a partnership with her loving coach-husband.

Now imagine doing this ALL from a wheelchair.

As an athletic and enthusiastic 14-year old...dreamed of...playing basketball professionally...While traveling with a friend...the car went out of control...was flung violently ...Her back was broken and her spinal cord was severely injured. The diagnosis was permanent paralysis.

"After the accident I decided that if I couldn't play standing up, I didn't want to play at all,"...Then she was introduced to wheelchair basket ball in 1988...

In an era of political correctness...dismisses the "challenged" language currently in vogue, believing that everyone is physically challenged in some way..."I consider myself to be an able person with a disability."...

As a consistent All-Star and MVP_honored athlete...wheelchair basketball career has provided opportunities surprising even to herself. She has traveled the world extensively for competition and motivational speaking, and currently holds the position of point-guard for the L.A. Sparks, a newly formed team affiliated with the Women's National basketball Association.

While competing in the 1990 Pan American Games in Caracas, Venezuela, basketball brought another opportunity in the form of her now-husband and coach...credits much of her success to his presence in her life....

In addition to playing basketball...added a new goal to her life. Because she had a bad experience with occupational therapy during her own rehabilitation, she decided to focus on providing a positive occupational experience for others. Moving to Los Angeles...enrolled in the Occupational Therapists Assistant Program offered ..Mount St. Marys College...Campus...

Graduating in 1994...accepted a position as an occupational therapist assistant at Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital where she specializes in spinal cord in-patient rehabilitation....

In 1995, Danskin and two colleagues founded Freeman Sports on
Wheels, a program providing life-giving opportunities for others with spinal-cord injuries...."...Many just need something to get them back into life. Wheelchair basketball offers connections to the community and others who share similar life situations and experiences>'

...she is viewed as a role model by the patients with whom she works...."I'm not a better OTA because of my disability, but I do have a greater level of credibility because I understand personally what they are going through."

...Danskin is now studying sports management at USC with plans to start the first ever collegiate wheelchair sports program.

..."My focus is trying to raise my family, to be good at the things I do now, and to continue my education, I couldn't ask for a better life..."

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.