Staten Island Web logo

A pastor told these two stories during church recently to help make the point about not underestimating the power of answered prayer.
Golf legend Arnold Palmer was invited to the palace while in Saudi Arabia and asked by the king what gift he would like. Taken aback, and not wanting to ask for too much, he suggested a golf club.
The next day a courier arrived with the deed to a golf club -- the course, the clubhouse, the pool, the parking lot, the restaurants
To further illustrate the point, the pastor continued with a story about a kitten that climbed up a tree in his backyard, and after a short while, was too afraid to come down.
The pastor pled, got warm milk, food and coaxed, but to no avail the kitty would not come down.
So he decided that if he tied a rope to his car and drove a short distance so that the tree bent down, he could then reach the kitten. He did all this, kept getting out to check, then figured if he went just a little bit further, the tree would be bent sufficiently to reach the kitten. But as he did, the rope SNAPPED! And of course, the tree went Boing! and the kitten sailed through the air and out of sight.
The pastor felt very bad. He walked all over the neighborhood, asking people if they'd seen a little kitten. "No," was the answer at every door. So he prayed, "Lord, I just commit this kitten to Your keeping," and went on about his business.
A few days later he was at the grocery store and he met a church member and looked into her cart (Pastors always look in church member's carts to see what they're buying.) And knowing she hated cats he was amazed to see cat food. He asked her, "Why are you buying cat food when you hate cats so?"
She replied, "You won't believe this," and told him how her little girl had been begging her for a cat, but she kept refusing. Then a few days later the girl began begging again and she finally told her disgustedly, "Well, if God gives you a cat, I'll let you keep it." You can guess the rest.
She told the pastor, "I watched my little girl go out in the backyard, get down on her knees, fold her hands and asked God for a cat. And really, you won't believe this, but I saw it with my own eyes. A cat suddenly came flying out of the blue sky, with its paws spread out, and landed right smack dab in front of her."
So we need to ask for big things and expect God to answer.

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.