(WASHINGTON) - Fireworks can add fun and excitement to a holiday celebration...but the Consumer Product Safety Commission is recommending leaving the pyrotechnics to the professionals.
Last year, about 85-hundred people were treated at hospital emergency rooms for fireworks-related injuries. 40 percent of the victims were children under the age of 15.
If you do choose to set off fireworks this Fourth of July holiday weekend, the CPSC has some safety tips:
- Never allow young children to play with fireworks.
- Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
- Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned.
- Keep a bucket of water or a hose handy in case of a malfunction or fire.
- Only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from the house, dry leafs and flammable materials.
Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.