Staten Island Web logo

Interesting question, Art. Answering it is beyond my comprehension.

My kids became dis-attracted to the law as a stimulating pursuit in which to spend the rest of their lives working, I believe, because they saw me sweating to make things happen.
When I would tell them about some case I was involved in, the oldest boy would say, "How come you always get such hard cases?"

There was some truth in that.

Now that they're older and I occasionally point out that the engineering work they want to do exists in an environmental structure governed by law and economics, and cultural imperatives in general, so they'd better pay attention to what goes on around them, they're beginning to realize that the business pages, and other, of the newspaper, beyond the comics, count.

The hottest area of law these days, I tell them, is "intellectual property law" (the former patent, trademark, and copyright, field) which is used to protect the rights, and royalties, to the computer programs and other processes they may be developing in the future.

The need for "double-degreed" lawyer-engineers is great, as you need lawyers who can understand engineers.

This perks them up, and one of the boys actually said he'd like to look into that. I had to ask him if I'd heard correctly.

I'm not sure whether boys avoid following their father's occupations and follow their grandfather's instead by default. Whose fault?

How would you test for that?

Who do girls follow?

If we're so smart, how come we make so many of the same old mistakes?

-rs

PS - The term "engineer" has me wondering. I don't know its origin. It changes meanings from time to time. When I was a kid, it meant "train driver." Then you had "operating engineers" who drove heavy construction equipment, like Leo, my dad. You also had "stationery engineers" who operated the heating plants in buildings.

The early electrical scientists called themselves "electricians." Now that refers to the technical people who install, maintain and repair electrical systems designed by engineers applying principles devised by physicists.

Physicists, botanists, biologists, chemists, astronomers, geologists, etc., were originally called "natural philosophers" until they began specializing.

Lawyas have always been called SOBs.

-rs

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.