Staten Island Web logo

I have been living in California for about 25 years - yet my ears never deceive me. Standing in a school office about a month ago, I saw a woman come in and speak to the clerk. She had some kleenex in her hand and asked if there was a "garbage pail" available.
I introduced myself and said that I couldn't help but overhear what she had said. I said, "You must be from New York" She said, "yes, how did you know?" I said, " you said garbage pail" and followed with saying to her that she sounded like she was from Staten Island. Well, she also was a 25 year plus resident of California. Both she and her husband were from Staten Island and she was from New Brighton.
Another time a year or so ago, I was chatting with the Assistant Principal in the same office, when a women asked a question of us. I said "you sound like you're from New York" She said, "yes, how did you know?"
I asked, "Staten Island?" And she said she was. The woman asked what in her few words gave it away. When I thought about it - it seemed to be both pronunciation and inflection. It seems it's not just what is said but also the manner in which it is said that marks Staten Islander's speech.

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.