Staten Island Web logo

Dear "The Great JB:"

Your recent comment noted.

Yours seems to be one of the more temperate ones I have received thus far, and your efforts in this regard are appreciated.

I followed along with what you were saying until the point where a reference to "purple" was made and there, I am afraid, you lost me.

I have been sitting here trying to come up with a suitable connection, but am thus far unable to. Does he mean "purple prose?" I believe that a review of my previous posts will indicate that they do not contain any vulgarities (or at least of the gross sort used by "patos"). The song, "Deep Purple" next came to mind, as did a novel -- "Riders of the Purple Sage" --from my youth. But none of these seemed to apply.

If you have a moment or two, will you please elaborate.

I next became somewhat confused by your reference to "dazzle" and "thesaurus."

Again, I seem to not be getting your point. I went quickly over my previous posts and I am hard-pressed to find any words or terms that your average high school freshman would (or, more precisely, should know). I am not -- as old "bobC" suggests -- a "grammarian." (In fact, I don't believe I have ever met one, and would be astounded to discover that a livelihood could be made doing this!). Or, am I (or have I ever been) a teacher. (At least not "professionally;" I have, of course, sought to teach my children certain values).

I don't know if we have any high school teachers on this web site, but if they would care to express an opinion as to the grade level of the vocabulary that is being utilized, they are certainly free to do so.

I read a lot -- and not just The New York Times or The Wall Street Journal. (I will get the Times on 1-2 Sundays a month; the Wall Street Journal about 2-3 times a month). I CARE about being able to speak and write the English language with a reasonable degree of competence -- and that is all I have done here.

If people want to disagree with me -- that's fine. But, please, don't "come on like gang busters" (which some of our fellow "web mates" have done), as this will only serve to add fuel to the fire. People who accuse me of being a "resident grammarian" or "Chief Editor of the Web Site" (all the while acting like they would be prime candidates for Slobodan Milosevic's "Special Police" --or whatever it is they are called) don't really make me feel too kindly toward them. (Not to mention, of course, those who resort to throwing obscenities my way).

Let me ask you a question, Mr. "The Great JB." Presumably as a boy (or, perhaps, maybe to this day), you played in team sports. Are you seriously of the opinion that practice did NOT help you (and the rest of those on the team) play better? So, why wouldn't the practice of working on our spelling (as well as the rest of our mind) produce similar dividends?

As to your comment about whether I still am (or am not) Invictus: Now, you really have lost me! (I went to the mirror, and my old self stared back at me).

Perhaps you'd like to elaborate somewhat more on this issue, as well.

Take care,

Invictus

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.