Staten Island Web logo

Okay, I think you're saying the school kid should have swallowed his five day suspension without protest, or maybe you're saying (for such an erudite writer you've left me a lot to guess about) that the parents should not have to resort to the law, but to a higher authority in the school, the district, or the school higher-ups somewhere.

Not at all. On the contrary, I'm saying the school should have recognized the kid's good intentions, and "stretched the rules a bit". The fact that the Mj was turned over to authorities by the parents and not directly by the kid should have been overlooked, and "case closed". That's what I'm advocating as a "common sense" solution.
=============================================

I have a big problem with accepting foolish punishment. The reason this made the news is because of the disconnect between what the kid did, turn the Mj over to his parents, and what the school did, suspend the kid.

The kid did nothing wrong and should not have been subjected to any punishment.

Whether you call this common sense or stupidity, the fact that a lot of people think its the latter suggests that more reasoning needs to be applied.

My suggestion was that a lawyer could have added to the discussion and seen to it that the arguments were advanced in the right forum. I wasn't suggesting that (s)he sue anyone. A chat with the principal or a letter to the district might have taken care of the matter. Lawyers write letters all the time hoping to resolve things without litigation. Often the fact of the attorney's letterhead suggests the prospect of future legal difficulty, but that's what gets people's attention.

Your initial reaction (and I'm leaning towards one of professional prejudice), was to immediately call in legal assistance (a lawya). My common sense theory dictates no legal counsel necessary and closure reached with minimal inconvenience to all involved.

============================================

Schools, of course, have their own lawyers, and when questions of discipline arise and the lawyer for the pupil is brought in by the parents, the principal turns the matter over to the district which sends the file to its lawyer.

The two lawyers then hash the matter out. It's when they can't agree that a dispute resolution mechanism may be needed, and that may include litigation in the courts, but more likely, in the case of school discipline, it may mean an administrative hearing of some sort or even ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) i.e. mediation, arbitration, etc.

So if we still disagree on something, let me know what it is.

In my humble opinion, in this case, all this lawyering is absolutely unnecessary. That is, up until the time the punishment was doled out. Again, in my humble opinion this punishment was an unjust act.

Afterward, yes, legal council for the kid.

BTW, I enjoy these discussions more when there's something to talk about, i.e., there's something to disagree about. The most boring of the posts are the ones that say "I agree" because that just about eliminates any discussion and the thinking stops there.

I agree! (LOL)

In the past there was some name-calling on this website when there was disagreement, but that seems to have taken a rest, thank goodness. The kind of back and forth I'm seeing lately is very welcome, especially when leavened with a little barbed humor. After all, we're from StatNisland, which is part of Noo Yawk, where a certain amount of "mouth" wasn't just a survival advantage, but built in as you grew older.

You may have spoken too soon on this one.
==============================================

As an afterthought, I'm curious as to when this all took place and if it was recent, how it affected the kid's school term.
--
ciao4now!
bobC

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.