Staten Island Web logo

It is interesting that you raise the question of disease and the mosquito man. I myself have had several miscarriages and a child born with birth defects. I was one of the mosquito man's ardent disciples. Your description of the kids spilling out into the street and "parading" is right on target with my memories. I wrote a poem about the mosquito man as part of a series that I was writing last year under a grant. Some of the language that Gina used jives with my own experience. I compared us to the children of Hamelin in my poem. Pretty grim when you think about the consequences of their discipleship. I called borough hall to see if I could get information. I was curious. What exactly were we inhaling? I got no satisfactory answer; as a matter of fact no one seemed to know what I was talking about. We couldn't all of us have hallucinated this experience.
When I read the poem, people who were here and remember are astounded and then they shudder to think of what we were running, bicycling, and rollerskating in the midst of.

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.