Staten Island Web logo

I am probably going to open a can of worms here but this is a subject near and dear to my heart. It is the idea of music, usually the heavy metal or industrial type that seems to get blamed for horrible events that have nothing to do with the music itself.
There have been lawsuits through the years from parents blaming recording artists for their children's problems. Judas Priest was sued for a song that parents blamed for their children killing themselves. The band was found not to blame. Ozzy Osbourne was sued for a song called "Suicide Solution" that unfortunately some teens took to heart and decided to off themselves. Unfortunately for the parents that sued, Ozzy was found blameless. Anybody that reads the lyrics can see for themselves that the song is very much ANTI suicide. Now we have Marilyn Manson being blamed for the horrible shootings in Colorado.
The teens involved in the shooting have parents that obviously had no control over them. News reports have stated that a shotgun barrel was on the dresser of on of the shooters, along with bomb materials in the teen's room. If I found a shotgun barrel in my 16 year old son's room I would call the police without hesitation.
Children are influenced by a number of things, including the music they listen to. Black Sabbath many years ago caught a lot of flak for a song called "Hand of Doom" which showed the dangers of heroin usage (1972). Many people felt that the lyrics encouraged heroin use but it did not.
I have 4 Marilyn Manson cds. While the music is loud and vicious, the lyrics are open to interpretation. I see nothing different here than I saw as a teenager in the 70s. The people that will condemn styles of music without taking the time to see exactly what it is about are as bad as anyone condemning entire groups of people based on hearsay.
The group Marilyn Manson has wisely made no statement regarding the shootings, nor should they in my opinion. My son is a big fan of Tupac Shakur and while his songs are loud and angry I would no sooner forbid my son from listening to it than I would remove my right arm. FREE SPEECH. PARENTS NEED TO KNOW WHAT THEIR CHILDREN ARE DOING AND NOT BLAME WHATEVER MEDIA HERO IS PRESENT AT THE TIME. There is a hell of a lot more that we as parents can do to control our children than to blame a music cd for what happens. Snoop Doggy Dogg, Notorius B.I.G., Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Steamhammer Records, Mein Kampf (sp.?) where does it end?
Blame Marilyn Manson for these terrible killings? How many of you know what ANY of the songs are about? Education is the answer, not stamping out what we don't understand.

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.