Staten Island Web logo

Re: "Not to ruffle anyone's feathers" I haven't said anything. Hell, if these questions were easy they wouldn't be worth getting upset and talking about. No way you can talk about serious matters without risking ruffling feathers whether you phrase it the way we do here, in StatNislandese, or the way the diplomatic types do, dancing around the issue with euphemisms until all the blood is drawn out of what we're doing.

It seems we're bombing the bejeezus out of a lot of people whose leader we don't like because he's doing very bad things, and a lot of civilians, accidentally, in the process, God forgive us.

I was listening to a friend, a respected international lawyer and professor, holding forth on a radio talk show the other day that what we were doing in the Balkans was illegal as hell.

So I wrote him that maybe something was wrong with the law.

As for the people who say we can't sustain the necessary effort, I can't argue that except to say maybe we can and maybe we can't.

Should we try?

Now there's a value judgment.

Does Clinton have the moral authority to lead us in such a situation? An editor asked him that last nite, boorishly, I thought, and Clinton laid it on him.

Damrite he does, as he pointed out. This was at the newspaper editors convention in San Francisco; He's the Commander-in-Chief and we elected him. So he's got the mandate of heaven until next election or a very big earthquake.

He may be no saint, but he's our no-saint.

I loved the quote:

"I HAVE ALREADY GIVEN TWO COUSINS TO THE WAR, AND I STAND READY TO SACRIFICE MY WIFE'S BROTHER." - Artemus Ward [contributed by Corsair, above]

-rs

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.