Staten Island Web logo

Bugliosi Thomas Perillo Jr. TOMDGIMP tomdgimp@excite.com I showed a friend of mine (who is a retired prosecutor) RS's post, and he gave me some input into how things work.
While the comments are mine, they come from my understanding of what RS wrote, and what my friend explained to me.
Having been seated at the table in front of the courtroom myself (numerous times, and no I'm not a lawyer), I can say that I believe I have a very good grasp of how the game is played, but I do not believe I know it as well as my friend or RS.
My comments are below

On 2/12/2001 11:00:00 PM, FawCawnahs wrote:
>
>That's why deputy DA's often wanna kill
>their supervisor, for handing off the
>dogs and keeping the cherries.
>
***Vincent Bugliosi was a DEPUTY DA, so if we follow what you are saying, he should have been handed the "dogs" while his supervisors got the "easy" ones. So if you are correct in that, that means the man did a really good job, since all he had to work with were the lousy cases.
>
>Some people don't think that's Winning.
>Some of us, who've seen this sort of
>thing and know what's realy going on
>consider this "taking unfair advantage"
>of one's position, as in "shooting fish
>in a barrel," to fatten up one's record.
>
***Okay, well since you were a prosecutor, you know that your job is to convict the case, whether that means a plea bargain, or a jury conviction.
You claim some people consider this "taking unfair advantage", yet you say nothing of the other side, the defense. When a case goes to trial the defense is entitled to full disclosure of everything the prosecutor has while the defense has no such limitation, except for a witness list. That's not "unfair advantage"?

>105 out of 106 makes me think there are
>ways to play with the statistics.
>
***My friend was adamant about me bringing this point up in my answer, so.....
These are your biased feelings now that you are a defense attorney, but while you were a prosecutor you would have killed for numbers like that.

>
>There are "successful prosecutions," and
>"successful prosecutions." Some are
>more successful than others.
>
***As far as any prosecutor is concerned, any prosecution that has a penalty for the accused is a successful prosecution.

>Any prosecutor can score a conviction if
>he's got the evidence.
>
***Yes and any defense lawyer can get a client off -- IF they have the evidence. While there are many convictions every year, I would be willing to bet that there are just as many acquittals too.

>
>Moral: Don't go NEAR prosecutors unless
>you're getting paid to do so.
>
>-rs
>
***Only ex-procecutors for me thank you!!! =o)

***Just so everyone knows, I am NOT disputing what RS said. I am only offering what I perceive to be the OTHER side of the coin that RS offered. I am NOT trying to be combative or aggressive, I am just stating what I have seen, heard, and believe. Which is what the board is here for.
So NO offense is meant to RS, or his opinions.
(Isn't it getting sad that I have to keep making disclaimers when I post, so that people don't take things the wrong way?)
Tom

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.