Staten Island Web logo

Possible Scenario for Russian Sub Disaster Robert Sheridan FawCawnahs bobsheridan@earthlink.net As I observed in the first line of the first post in this thread:

"From 1950 to 1990, if you told me a Russian submarine blew itself up and went to the bottom with all hands, I would've cheered. It would've been a Soviet submarine, anyway, and they were the enemy, engaging with us in all sorts of proxy wars, from Korea to Vietnam."

Let's update that to read "From 1950 to the year 2000,..."

I have about as much sympathy for the Kursk and its crew as I do about the Japanese ships, and crews, that went down in the Battles of Midway, the Coral Sea, Leyte, and any other battle where the enemy perished.

The Kursk wasn't an old boat, left over from the Cold War.

It was a new boat, commissioned in 1995, six years after the supposed END of the Cold War.

Looks like we're just in the second inning of this ball game.

I read today that the Russians say they're gonna cut their military from 1.2 million to about 800,000, 'cuz they can't support 'em all.

Good! I've seen fotos of Russian soldiers begging on the streets.

Where do they get off building a nuclear submarine these days, with all those nuke tipped ICBMS that aren't aimed at Grozny, in Chechenya, I'm willing to bet a fifth of vodka.

Outlaw states? Rogue states? Let's see, where would we start that list?

I saw CNN's Larry King interiew of Vladimir Putin last evening. He's ex-KGB and a black belt in karate. His father, I read, was part of Stalin's security detail. No dissident, he. His grandfather was a member of Lenin's security detail. But Putin is said to hate the Communist party with a passion.

Okay, I'll give you that. He hates the party. For what? Failing to deliver, no doubt.

I don't understand a word of Russian, but I listened carefully to the translation of his roundabout technocrat type answers. No mass communicator, this guy. His face displayed a number of mannerisms or gestures that I'm not used to seeing. Maybe they're typical Russian gestures that don't mean very much. Or maybe the impression I had that this guy is defensive and evasive has some substance.

Not the kind of guy I'd want to buy a used car from.

I think we're going to have our hands full with the Russians until their nuclear capability goes kaput, which I don't expect anytime soon.

Cold War I. Over.

Cold War II, here we go again.

-rs

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.