Staten Island Web logo

Church Bazaars Marguerite Rivas sipoet sipoet1@aol.com Oh JR, so I didn't imagine that the OLSS church bazaar was a huge deal for the town. I thought perhaps it was just that I viewed it from a child's eyes. As for that heard-headed pastor at OLSS -- imagine having to get your report card hand-delivered from him. He used to scare the daylights out of all of us. On report card day, he'd burst into the classroom and we'd all stand at attention sing-songing, "Good morning, Monsignor O'Mara." After we were told to sit down, he'd give us the same line, "If you have tears to shed, prepare to shed them now." He'd then call each one of us up and go over the report card out loud. I was a good student, (except for math) but I was shaking every time I had to get a report card. Boy, was he an ornery one! Kids would sit there crying. We were lucky, though in that we had Father Gartland to offset the terror we felt from the good Monsignor. Father Gartland left and came back to OLSS a few years back, but sadly, died. He was a good guy.

Take care,
Marguerite

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.