Staten Island Web logo

politically correct Robert Sheridan FawCawnahs bobsheridan@earthlink.net Well, McGill, now you've gone and done it.

You've posed a serious question that calls for serious thought on the StatNisland Website.

I don't know what you're trying to do, but I think you're going to keep a lot of the apple-knockers up late at nite trying to think up how to respond to your question.

As for me, the best I can do is to pull up a quote I wuz saving for something else I happened to be writing about. It's by another guy, being quoted by yet someone else, because it states the problem of what happens when you get into the world of what's PC instead of what's right.

Here's what I've retrieved, from:

"Naturalist" by Edward O. Wilson, Warner Books, N.Y., 1994:

"The psychobiologist Jerre Levy parodied the politically correct formula as follows: "Even without supporting evidence, the sociocultural hypothesis is assumed to be true unless proved false beyond any possible doubt. In contrast, the biological hypothesis is assumed to be false unless evidence is completely unassailable in its support." (Jerre Levy, "Sex and the Brain," The Sciences 21, no. 3 (1981) 20-23, 28) (Wilson, p. 335

This is the basic presumption of guilt. Is political correctness a form of fascism? See Umberto Eco in the N.Y. Review (where he identified eight instances of behavior labeled fascism).

So, according to Jerre Levy via E.O. Wilson, here's the formula for testing for PC:

"Even without supporting evidence, the [politically correct] hypothesis is assumed to be true unless proved false beyond any possible doubt. In contrast, the [competing, politically incorrect] hypothesis is assumed to be false unless evidence is completely unassailable in its support."

PC is powerful stuff. High school kids strive mightily to be PC. They'll taunt and torment anyone who is seen as different, to the point of driving the incorrect ones out or to suicide. Adults have been known to do the same thing.

You've done it this time, McGill. We're gonna have to watch out for you, throwing these hand-grenades into the circus.

-rs

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.