Staten Island Web logo

"The Tech Rep" By James Michener; Continued:

"SO I WENT TO PAMPLONA, AND CHECKED IN AT BAR VASCA AND LISTENED TO MUSIC, AND FOR THREE MORNINGS I WATCHED OTHERS RUN BEFORE THE BULLS, AND ON THE FOURTH MORNING-WHY, I'LL NEVER KNOW-I WAS IN THE NARROW STREETS WHILE THE BULLS THUNDERED PASSED ME. ON THE EIGHT MORNING A BIG PABLO ROMERO CAUGHT ME RIGHT IN THE CHEST. BUT FOR HORN WOUNDS, PAMPLONA HAS THE BEST DOCTORS IN THE WORLD. Instinctively he pressed his right hand against his shirt to feel the ridges of scar left by the operation.

After that experience with Pamplona, Holt's contract with UniCom that his vacation begin on July 1. On that day he would report to the nearest airport and fly to Rome, which he considered the best city in the world. Perched in the loverly square that faces the ancient church of Santa Maria in Trastevere, he would waste two days watching the stately vaudeville show of tourists, priests, cadgers, pretty girls, gigolos and harassed waiters. Later in the afternoon of July 3 he would fly to Madrid, where I would be waiting, for after my initiation in 1958, I, too, became addicted to Pamplona and the ridiculous hilarity of Bar Vasca. On the Fourth of July, Holt would report formally to the American embassy, where he would sign the book and present his respects to the ambassador. That night we would go to bed early, so on the fifth we could rise before dawn, take our last warm bath for a long time, pack our rented car and be on our way by sunrise."

To be continued:

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.