Staten Island Web logo

HA, HA, HA!!!! Marguerite Rivas sipoet sipoet1@aol.com My vote is for Hillary. No doubt about it. I can't see Guiliani even enjoying being senator. He doesn't seem like a team player to me. I've also had enough of him. He was good for NYC when he was first elected. David Dinkins was too ineffectual. However, now he seems so arrogant, so over-the-top.

One of my classes this semester is an ESL (English as a Second Language) course. We did a whole lesson on Amadou Diallo and I opened the lesson by instructing my students to do exactly what I told them in the next few minutes. I then left the room and burst in a few minutes later screaming at the top of my lungs, "Don't move. Don't move. Police. Show me your hands. Show me your hands. Put your hands over your head. Put your hands over your head." I'd say about half of my students understood what I was saying and complied. The others were just mystified. I told the students who had put their hands over their heads to stand up and go to the front of the room. I told the rest, "You've just been killed by 41 police bullets." Now my students are fairly proficient in written and spoken English, actually more proficient than many of their native peers. I guess the point of telling you all of this is that five years ago I never would have dreamed that such a lesson was necessary. In the current climate, people of color have had enough. It's scary. I fear for the safety and well-being of my students, especially those,like Amadou Diallo who would not comprehend English shouted in so forceful and an excited way.

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.