Staten Island Web logo

Dandelions Violets Pinxters - Happy B 'day Sipoet Arthur Anderson Art artnscience-(at)-yahoo.com Here Is A Link To Da Udder 63 Flowa Posts

I kinda jumped on the bandwagon with the dandy lions and lionesses but the more I think about it the more I realize that there should be a flowa for those of us that diasporized and another for those of us who propagated right at home on da island. Remember I had a hard time recalling one-a-doze flowas dat always wuz on StatNisland - The Pinkster...the one that grows in serpentine outcroppings. Small woild, the StatNisland Advance has an article about these plants. The ones that always wuz on StatNisland and dose dat got dere da way we got to Merryland and San Francisco and udder funny places dat ain't islands...at least so far wen dere ain't any ertquakes.

Here is the article stolen from da StatNisland Advance I got on advice from SIPOET...who by the way had a birthday on the day that I put violets on her page in da StatNisland Photo Album. Rich, you got violets too 'cause I knows ya likes da frillies. For the fair flowers of dis place, sipoet is one of the fairest to whom I wish a hearty day late HAPPY Birthday.

Direct Quote from da 10 May 00 Advance:

"Here are a few of the plants that are common to Staten Island. Some have lived here or elsewhere in the U.S. for millions of years. Others are the offspring of immigrants that found the soil and climate hospitable, and stayed.

European settlers were the first to transplant alien species in the New World. They brought plants to use as medicines and foods or to beautify their gardens. The seeds of other species hitched rides on cattle and other livestock imported from Europe.

Botanists and gardeners also brought new species here from other parts of the world. Many of these plants escaped from gardens and farms, and are now common in the wild.

Native plants are adapted to the local soil and climate. Native birds and other wildlife depend on these plants for food and habitat.

Chicory (imported from Europe)

Some regard this European invader as a plant pest, but others cultivate it for food. When roasted and ground, its roots can be used as a coffee substitute.

Japanese Knotweed (imported from Asia)

This exotic plant is one of the most aggressive and persistent invasive plant species in the U.S. and Europe. It spreads primarily along river banks, but also grows in wetlands, along roadways and in other disturbed areas. Once it gains a foothold in a new location it is virtually impossible to eradicate this plant, which can reproduce by seed and by large underground stems that may reach several feet in length.

Purple Loosestrife (imported from Europe)

This beautiful garden escapee, another European import, quickly invades wetlands, crowding out native plants and ruining wetland habitat for birds and other wildlife.

Queen Anne's Lace (imported from Europe)

Some believe this plant is an ancestor of the cultivated carrot. Legend holds that Queen Anne, who ruled England in the early 18th century, copied the plant's floret when sewing lace. Others believe the plant is named for another Queen Anne, the wife of James I.

Cattail, "Punk" (native)

The roots of this fresh water wetland plant are starchy and can be ground into meal. Its young shoots and immature flowers are also edible. Muskrats like to dine on the shoots and sometimes clear the plant from the edges of ponds.

Common reed (native)

This tall grass often springs up in areas where the earth has been disturbed by bulldozers or off-road vehicles, usually in or near wetlands. Growing up to 15 feet tall, it sends out underground stems and often chokes out other native grasses. It provides some -- though inferior -- habitat for wildlife and filters pollutants from the water.
Pokeweed (native)

Though its berries and roots are poisonous, early colonists used the berry juice of the pokeweed as a dye.

Pinxster flower/Pink Azalea (native)

Selected as the official flower of Staten Island, the showy pink flowers of this native plant appear before its leaves are fully open. Its Latin name, Rhododendron nudiflorum, means "naked-flowered" rhododendron.

Turk's Cap Lilly (native)

Staten Island naturalist, William T. Davis, first located this plant in the Meadow of 10,000 Lillies, now in Blue Heron Park. Its large curved sepals and petals resemble headgear once worn in Turkey. Native Americans used the bulbs for soup.

Bloodroot (native)

This member of the poppy family was rediscovered in the Bloodroot Valley, between Brielle Avenue and Manor Road (now in the Greenbelt) in the late 1970s. Its delicate flower opens in daylight and closes at night. Native Americans used the red juice from its underground stems as a dye for baskets, clothing and warpaint and as an insect repellent.

Poison ivy (native)

Though its leaves and stems contain volatile oils that can irritate the skin, the berries of the poison ivy are very important food source for birds. The plant may grow as a ground cover, shrub or as a climbing vine. It can be identified by its hairy stems and leaflets in groups of three. The leaves turn red in the fall.

Ferns have lived on earth about 300 million years and have evolved into many different types. Here are two species that are native to Staten Island.

Royal Fern

Cinnamon Fern "

ART, a leader not a flower.

Visit the StatNislander's Photo Album and my ArtnScience Home Page

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.