Staten Island Web logo

1776-systematic rapes Marguerite Rivas sipoet sipoet1@aol.com I've been doing research on Staten Island during the revolution. I don't know if I mentioned this already. If I've posted about this, forgive me, but I just can't believe what I'm reading. I had known that occupying British troops had raped local women, but I didn't know how bad it was. I read that they were both systematic and brutal. Here is an excerpt from a letter by Frances,Lord Rawdon adjutant to General Clinton who was here in the winter of 1776:

"The fair nymphs of this isle are in wonderful tribulation, as the fresh meat our men have got here has made them as riotous as satyrs. A girl cannot step into the bushes to pluck a rose without running the most imminent risk of being ravished, and they are so little accustomed to these vigorous methods that they don't bear them with the proper resignation, and of consequence we have most entertaining courts-martial every day."

"Proper resignation" do you believe that? Boy what I wouldn't do to have Lord Rawdon come back from his mouldy grave for ten minutes. I'd show the creep some entertainment.

Where was this in the history books of Staten Island?

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.