Staten Island Web logo

St Joseph Hill - 1985 Karen Weckerle karanlate kweckerle@lucent.com The best Catholic school story I can summon up is as follows:

In third grade, we had the scariest of scary nuns named Sr. Joan. I still have a scar on my hand from her when she whacked me with a metal ruler. Anyway, we made first Penance that year and about six months later, the whole class was marching into Our Lady Help of Christians for another round. I asked the kid in front of me what we were supposed to say...I had completely forgotten everything. This kid tells me to say "Bless me father, for I have sinned. It has been one month since my last confession."

So I say, "ONE month, it's been more like six."

He replies, "Oh, no. You better not let Sr. Joan know. We're supposed to go every month."

So you can imagine the sweat on my brow. I'm sure that the priest is going to march right out of the confessional and tell Sr. Joan that I haven't been going.

I am severely mentally tortured at this point. I go in, kneel down and this light bulb appears over my head.

So I say (and this is true for the record), "Bless me father, for I have sinned. It has been one month since my last confession."

"And what are your sins, my dear?"

"I lied!!!!!"

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.