Staten Island Web logo

Me jump in Marguerite Rivas sipoet sipoet1@aol.com There are all sorts of lawyers, guys and not all of them are rich. Take landlord-tenant lawyers for instance. Here you are trying to make your bread and butter helping people to keep from either being evicted or to get the basic services that they have contracted for. Now, if you are on the verge of being evicted, how much money do you think you'd have to pay your lawyer. There are lawyers who make a good business out of this (on the landlord side probably), but one lawyer I knew did it for the love of the job and to help people; he'd hoped to get paid on a sliding scale according to the client's income. Unfortunately, their income was never so great, so he had to go into another area of practice to pay his bills. He tried, was honest, and was not in it for the money. The amount of money he made in this practice probably didn't even cover the cost of his law books, nevermind paying off his student loans. So if you want to bitch about fat cat lawyers who make money off of people's misery, go ahead. Just remember that there are good guys out there who get discouraged day in and day out with the assumptions of the general public about their character and their intentions. The lawyer jokes don't help either. Every bad minority joke that is now taboo has been recycled into a lawyer joke. I'm getting a little sick of it. There are still people who believe that the law is a noble profession and they still practice it with grace and dignity. I know. I'm married to one of those people.
Marguerite

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.