Staten Island Web logo

Hi Dawne,

I crewed for two summers on Pete Mardikos' boat, the DUTCHES which was a charter fishing boat at shoals dock.

Pete's son also had a boat on that dock, it was a converted PT Boat. Can't remember it's name now, but he used to take it to Coney Island every week in the evening for the weekly fireworks display. I went as a passenger and also as crew, many times. Another boat on that dock was a fellow that wintered on the west shore of Florida and came up to Shoals Dock in the summer for the Bluefish fishing. The boat's name was the REMA III. I had the good fortune to go with him back to Florida via the Inland Waterway one fall as crew.

My parents and we used to frequent the resteraunt at Shoals Dock many times. YES it smelled of fish, because they specialized in the BEST seafood grub I've ever eaten!

Many many good memories of those years (1955-1956) and wish I could re-live some of them, very much. Can't say I knew your parents, but if they had something to do with adding to the ambiance of that delightful spot in Great Kills then I have to tell you that they certainly added something nice to the life of THIS young man.

Shoals Dock certainly was one of the reasons that Staten Island was such a great place to grow up in and to live.

Thanks for the memories. God's blessings on you and your family.

Lee Shake

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.