BSC SI Shipyard John Ritter JR email@example.com
Bethlehem Steel Company's Staten Island Yard was founded in1895, as the Port Richmond Iron Works. It was originally a machine shop.
The Burlee Drydock Company was started at about the same time. In 1898 the two firms consolidated under the Burlee name at Port Richmond, Staten Island.
Some of Burlee's owners started a shipyard for the construction of wooden vessels. The firm's name was changed in 1907 to Staten Island Shipbuilding Company.
Steel ship construction began in 1916 when a foundry
was added. In 1925 activities shifted from Port Richmond to Mariners Harbor.
In 1929 the yard consolidated with another and began operations under the name United Drydocks Company. The name changed to United Shipyards, Incorporated, in 1938.
The yard was bought by Bethlehem Steel Company in 1938.
See more yard information and old pictures at the following
Is that Margie, Gina & OT waitin for sailors in that picture?
Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.