Staten Island Web logo

Before the bridge Robert Sheridan bobsheridan bobsheridan@earthlink.net I'll give you a Tennessee connection.

When I finished Wagnah College on StatNisland I went to law school at NYU in Greenwich Village. One of my classmates was a very bright and decent guy from Tennessee, name of Lamar Alexander.

Lamar went into politics going from a Kennedy admiring Democrat (we all admired JFK then) to a very decent Republican, which may not be as contradictory as you think.

Lamar became Governor of Tennessee after "Pardon Me, Roy," sung to the tune of "Chattanooga Choo-Choo." The previous governor was Roy Sumthin' or Other, who had a sideline of selling pardons to prisoners. These were get-out-of-jail-free cards as in the Monopoly game.

Lamar ran for U.S. President twice. Only guy I ever rubbed elbows with who ever did that. Waytago, Lamar.

I once met a couple of gals from Tennessee in a bar in San Francisco and mentioned I knew their governor, but not terribly well, as I didn't want to claim a greater familiarity than was the case. One of 'em said, "Well, if you don't want to claim him..." I'd never heard that expression. I was claiming him, but had been hesitant to overdo it. So now I'm claiming him!

-rs

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.