Staten Island Web logo

"The Tech Rep" By James Michener; Continued:

"Holt once told me at Don Muang, when I met him after an upland trip through Thailand, MARINES LIKE ME WERE TAUGHT TO THINK OF THE CHINESE AS SKINNY, WEAK-WILLED LITTLE GUYS FROM CANTON WHO ATE RICE AND RAN LAUNDRIES. THE OFFICIAL DOCTRINE WAS THAT ONE MARINE WAS EQUAL TO TEN GOOKS. WELL, THE CHINESE WE MET AT THE RESERVOIRS WERE FROM THE NORTH. THEY ATE MEAT AND POTATOES. THEY WEREN'T SKINNY. THEY WEREN'T WEAK-WILLED. AND GOD KNOWS, THEY WEREN'T LITTLE. IN THE FIRST FIGHT THEY KICKED THE SXXX OUT OF US. NOW GRANT THAT THEY HAD EVERY ADVANTAGE. THEY WERE IN COMPACT FORMATIONS AND WE WERE SPREAD OUT ALL OVER THE LANDSCAPE, BUT THEY LICKED US...THEY LICKED US VERY BAD.

In weather that had turned bitter cold, with snow falling and supplies nonexistent-NO FOOD, NO WATER, NO AMMUNITION, NO HEAVY GUNS, NO CAPTAIN, NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH HEADQUATERS, NO PLAN- they went south for eleven days, holding together, avoiding combat with the Chinese wherever possible, with the belief that they could make it back to Hungnam and the boats that would evacuate them."

To be continued:

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.