Staten Island Web logo

THE POMEROY GROUP - COMBAT Charles Schleininger corsair schleini@lemoorenet.com "The air base had one runway heading north or south depending which way we were to take off. I believe we always took off heading north. I can remember landing to the south only one time. The runway was 5,000 feet long & we generally used most of it to get enough airspeed to take off. The taxi strip was in the form of an oval that connected to both ends of the runway. We would test our engines just before turning on to the runway by setting the brakes on & advancing the throttle of each engine. then we would release the brakes & get a running start as we turned on the runway. As soon as we were aligned with the runway, we would use full power to increase the airspeed. The plane would leave the ground about 110 mph & as soon as we were airborne & reached an airspeed of 135 mph I would raise the landing gear that would immediately increase our air speed. We would climb to our formation area at about 155 mph. When landing, we would enter the traffic pattern with an airspeed of 155 mph. On final approach we would slow down to 120 mph until over the end of the runway. We would reduce power & touch down at 90 mph. After parking our plane, we would go to debriefing to tell about what we observed on the trip & at the target. Then we would proceed to the Red Cross wagon & have coffee & donuts. The Medical department furnished shots of whiskey if you wanted one. After a few missions like those to Steyr, Austria, Regensburg, Germany & Ploesti, Romania I took a few drinks to calm my nerves." To be continued ...

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.