Staten Island Web logo

What Wuz It Like Back Then On StatNisland Harry White hrwhite leighnharry@earthlink.net NDHS '54 - Extra curricular activities being paid for so there will be football and other activities that had been shelved for years. Coach Sal Solmer coached us in singlewing tactics. We wore leather helmets and leather pads, sorta da Knute Rockny (sp) school and style of football. Our home field was Wagner. I MADE THE TEAM! But played sparingly. Not a great athlete but lots of heart. Played against the hated Curtis team Thanksgiving morning. It was better than the Super Bowl. We lost but I do not think I have ever been as excited in my life. Had a much better personal game against the Curtis JV the next day. I got to start with the JV and played the whole game. Always wished that I had been able to play more but that was my only year of eligibility.
I went on to play football in the service but I never felt the same thrill as wearing the green and gold of NDHS. I wore my letter sweater with pride for years. Some SOB stole it out of my convertible in the early 60's. I wish I had that sweater to show to my boys. I hope whoever stole it did it because they need to keep warm.
Harry

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.