Staten Island Web logo

THE POMEROY GROUP - COMBAT Charles Schleininger corsair "Our usual schedule on the morning of a mission would be to get up at 5:30AM, eat ay 6:30, go to the briefing for missions at 7:00, & take off at 8:00. Briefing was a meeting of all the pilots, bombardiers & navigators where the mission of the day was announced & where we found out which position we would fly in the formation. We would be shown pictures of our targets, maps of the are showing our route into the target & out. We would be informed about the amount of flak we could expect & where enemy fighters were most likely to attack us. Also we would find out if we were going to have any fighter escort that day & where they would meet us & the length of time we would be protected. The lead bombardiers would be given target photos to assist them to hit the right target. The navigators received maps covering the route we were to fly. From there we would go back to our squadron supply & get our parachutes. If we were going on a long mission, we would also get C rations for the noon meal. We always expected to be back at the base for the evening meal. The preparation for each mission included an inspection of the aircraft & a talk with the crew chief to determine if there was any problem with the aircraft that we should know about. We would enter the aircraft through the bomb bay & climb up to the flight deck where the pilot's seat & controls were located. We would go through the prescribed checklist & when the proper time came start the engines. To start the engines we needed additional electrical power that was supplied by an outside source or an auxiliary power unit located below the flight deck. We would start the left inboard engine, #2 first because that engine generated the electrical power for the rest of the aircraft. The right inboard engine, #3 would be started next because it operated the pump for the plane's hydraulic system. Then the 2 outboard engines would be started & we would complete the checklist to see that all the instruments & gauges were in their proper range. We would test the hydraulic system & make final preparations while awaiting the signal to start taxing for take off. The noise from all the engines was overwhelming, very loud. I am sure that everyone on the base was awake after the Group started the engines." To be continued:

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.