Staten Island Web logo

Ida's Journal Part 4 C Connelly mcgil mmmg@netscape.net From the journal of Ida Dudley Dale, part 4

Taking a long circuit home by way of New Dorp to the Boulevard to Sand Land and the Fingerboard Road, Ida recorded that they passed "several stylish turnouts and horseback riders cantering on the downs, which are part of Fox Hills golf links. "It was there that my eyes opened in astonishment, not dreaming that there was another 'Grymes Hill' on Staten Island, as elegant and picturesque. We drove about a quarter of a mile along the estate of Sir Roderick Cameron. At the entrance is a quaint gatehouse of brick and stained timber. A wide driveway circles beneath tall trees to the stately mansion, some distance. There was a small pond and not far away I was surprised to find a lake as large a Martling's with a tiny island. We couldn't observe much more, as it is bordered by a high red fence."
They covered the same route to New Dorp via Manor Road and Tipperary Corners on another afternoon with Queenie trotting down New Dorp Lane to the beach. They passed George Vanderbilt's noted stock farm on the east side of the Lane, where a great many calves, some no larger than dogs, were grazing. The Britton cottage near the water's edge attracted them especially… "of stone and shingle, whitewashed, the roof of the western wing slopes right down to within a couple of feet to the ground, giving a look of protection and coziness. The eastern side of the house is close to New Dorp Lane and covered with ivy. At the corner is an old spreading elm - perhaps one of those that gave the name to Elm Tree Light, close by…"
"Three work crews, driven by Italians and Negroes, passed along the field road and out into New Dorp Lane. They babbled among themselves, and finally one desperado got out, slinked up to the gateway we had gone through, and locked it with a padlock and chain! There was absolutely no other outlet for us; for where the fence ended, the field was hedged in with a long rock-filled dock, a bay and the ocean! I was scared stiff, but assumed a brave front, as I approached him, and said, in the most mandatory voice at my command, 'Open the gate and we will go out!' If he had refused I hate to think of the consequences. Dear mother and Edward were horrified, but a few minutes later we were freed. I took frightened Edward to the beach for a short time, so that he would not go home without sailing his boat…Finally mother signaled to return at once; Queenie had been seesawing to and fro, trying to break away from her fence. So Edward and I got in, while mother untied the rope, and I never saw an animal speed away faster… Queenie would not stop running even on the hills leading up Egbert Avenue."

To be continued……..

Staten Island Web® Forums Index.