Staten Island Web logo

I just returned from a trip back to the Staten Island/New Jersey area. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at what I saw.

Several years ago, I visited Staten Island and was dismayed at the condition and atmosphere of the area at which I visited--New Dorp. The streets were dirty and trashy, the parking lots were trashy. I went into the K-Mart in New Dorp and was upset to see rude and disrespectful people (they would literally pick up a piece of clothing and let it fall to the floor and leave it there!), dirty, smelly parking lots and trash all along the curbs.

This last trip I found cleaned up streets (some were still smelly, but we can't have everything, I guess!), friendly people, K-mart was clean and fairly neat. The traffic is still bad, but it didn't seem to bother me as much. This was the first enjoyable visit back to SI in 20 years! I used to get a headache (no lie) just coming over the Goethal's Bridge!

Whatever the changes have been, I hope it continues. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to share my thoughts. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Okdeb

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.