Staten Island Web logo

A Tribute Brian Cullen Ace328bc ace328bc@yahoo.com My 19th anniversary is on Monday, and I thought I'd ask for a little indulgence for me, as I wax poetic (so to speak) for my best friend of my life.
I met her while I was a security guard at the apartments at Fr. Capodanno Bl, right where the curve heading up the hill is, down from the VZ bridge. I had already met her sister, a shy girl who I struck up a friendship with. (Side note-the sister is currently my sister-in-law, married to the guy who was my best friend at that time). One day she came down to the guard shack with another girl in tow, a pretty girl who seemed to be looking at me curiously. After some conversation, Donna, the sister, said, this is my sister Nancy. As I looked at her and said, pleased ta meetcha, she looked at me and said, "I have a sister Belinda, who can touch her nose with her tongue!" At this point I knew this girl was for me. The date was March 26, 1979. The next day I asked her out on a date, and she accepted, with the provision that she had to ask Momma first.
I kissed her for the first time by the little park up by the VZ bridge. I can't tell you how I knew at the time that I had reached a part of my life that really meant something other than just getting through another day. She was, and is, just about the sweetest and kindest human being I have ever known. There is nothing she would not and will not do for another person, and she loves her family unconditionally. I have lived my life as a cynical, angry man that has little use for pretention and horse crap. I could never understand why such a pretty girl had any use for someone like me. But she has taught me many things. Tolerance. Patience. Concern.
We were married on March 27, 1981. She was already 6 months pregnant and we were married at City Hall on Staten Island. Her eyes were shining as no one's I have ever known. Our honeymoon was memorable in that we didn't know what to do, so we drove until we were tired and wound up in Reading, PA. I think we were so tired we just snuggled up and went to sleep.
Our first child, sadly, died 2 days after he was born. Nancy is an epileptic, and the medicine she was on caused some serious birth defects that the child could not survive. We made it through that sad time, and became closer than ever. Our second child, Erik, came into the world on April 29 of 1983. She was monitored closely, however he was born with a cleft lip, due to the same problems she had before-but other than that he was healthy. He had surgery to correct the problem, and again when he was 4, and today you'd never know. We moved to Florida in 1985 when I was laid off from a construction job.
Matthew, our next baby, was born May 9 of 1986, coincidentally the same day as my brother and my grandfather. Perhaps because of the family vibes, he was born healthy, with no problems, on Mother's Day.

I'd like to wrap this up by saying that while I have not been the best person in my life, I have one person, my wife, my Nancy, who has always been there for me, always believed in me, and to this day is the only female who has ever been jealous of me, and still is. I still don't know what she sees in me, but I know I could not go on without the love she gives me every day.

There is a song by the Who, called "My Wife", from the Who's Next album that I would like to quote from:

"Gonna buy a tank and an aeroplane
When she catches up to me
won't be no time to explain
She thinks I've been with another woman
and that's enough
To send her half insane

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead
boots, and take a long, long ride
I may end up spending all my money,
But I'll still be alive

And I'm oh, so tired of running want to
lay down on the floor
I need to get some rest so I can start
to run some more..."

To my Nancy on our anniversary:
I live for you and I love you more than you can ever know.

Brian

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.