Staten Island Web logo

The Tech Rep" By James Michener; Continued:

"WELL, HOLT WENT ALL APE RUNNING AROUND THE ISLAND TILL HE FOUND SCHUMPETER, AND THAT AFTERNOON THE JAPS STRUCK, AS YOU PROBABLY READ. IT WAS ONE HELL OF A GO, AND RIGHT AT THE POINT WHERE THEY HIT THE HARDEST WERE HOLT AND SCHUMPETER, A TWO-MAN ARMY. IT WAS REALLY SOMETHING TO SEE...SORT OF BEAUTIFUL. I WAS A HUNDRED YARDS BEHIND THEM, TOTATLY PINNED DOWN. IT WAS MURDER THAT AFTERNOON...MURDER. AND THESE TWO CHARACTERS STAYED THERE INSIDE THE WALLS OF A SHATTERED HUT AND YOU WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THEY WERE NAPOLEON AND ULYSSES S. GRANT. THEY MADE NOT ONE FALSE MOVE. CHRIST, THEY EVEN SORTIED AT ONE POINT, RIGHT INTO A MACHINE GUN THAT COULDN'T BE SWUNG AROUND IN TIME TO HIT THEM. I'M CONVINCED THE JAPS THOUGHT THERE WERE AT LEAST FIFTY MEN IN THAT HUT. IT WAS REALLY SORT OF POETIC., LIKE THE WAY HOMER MIGHT HAVE DESCRIBED A COUPLE OF GREEKS, SAY, ACHILLES AND AJAX-A YOUNG BOY AND A BUSTED SERGEANT WITH A BIG GUT.

The colonel began laughing, and I said it was funny to think of Harvey Holt as a Greek, but he said, I WASN'T LAUGHING ABOUT THAT. IT WAS SCHUMPETER. THAT NIGHT AFTER HE AND HOLT REJOINED US AND EVERYBODY WAS TELLING THEM WHAT A HELL OF A SHOW THEY HAD PUT ON THEY OUGHT TO GET A SILVER STAR OR SOMETHING, SOME JAPS TOOK A POSITION FROM WHICH THEY COULD BANG-BANG RIGHT INTO US, AND I ASKED FOR VOLUNTEERS TO GUN THEM DOWN FROM THE REAR-NOT TO DIFFICULT A JOB-AND I HAPPENED TO SEE SCHUMPETER MAKING HIMSELF REAL SMALL IN A CORNER, AND AFTER THE TEAM HAD GONE I SAID HALF JOKINGLY, SCHUMPETER, YOU LOOK SCARED, AND HOLT BARKED AT ME, OF COURSE HE IS. YOU WOULD BE TOO. I TURNED TO THIS BRIGHT-FACED KID AND STARTED TO ASK HIM WHO...

HE BROKE IN VERY FAST AND SAID, IN BOOT CAMP SCHUMPETER TAUGHT US THAT A MAN HAS ONLY SO MANY CHANCES EACH DAY, AND WHEN THERE USED UP, LIE LOW. HE ALSO TAUGHT US THAT A MAN IS A HORSE'S ASS EVER TO GET MIXED UP WITH THE TROUBLES OF ANOTHER OUTFIT. HE'LL HAVE ENOUGH PAIN WITH HIS OWN. THIS ISN'T HIS OUTFIT AND HE'S AFRAID TO TRY TO GET BACK. BECAUSE TODAY HE'S USED UP HIS CHANCES.

To be continued:

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.