Staten Island Web logo

Who is a racist Robert Sheridan bobsheridan bobsheridan@earthlink.net The thing about racism is that it's not confined to any particular group.

Racism is more like a tinted lens that you've got built in. You don't even know you have it built in. Someone calls you a racist, and you deny it, in good faith, because you don't even know you have it, built in.

A certain amount goes with the territory.

So others point out to you to watch out, you've got a certain amount. If you're smart, you take stock. Then you watch it.

How many times have you heard someone say, "I'm not a racist or anything, but...," or, "Don't take offense, but...," or, "Some of my best friends are...but?"

Anna Quindlen wrote one of the best columns I've ever seen on the subject of race the other day in Newsweek. It's the one topic in this country that we can't/don't talk about. It's the elephant in the middle of the room that we all know is there but we cannot acknowledge exists, especially on StatNisland.

Someday I'll tell you about the time one of the neighbors in FawCawnahs talked about selling an apartment to a Black.

"What's wrong with that?" I asked, full of the enlightened liberalism that was going around. I might as well have resigned from the human race, judging from the reactions I got from people who were very close to me.

So let's not talk about it, okay?

It doesn't exist.

-rs

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.