Staten Island Web logo

Mengele on SI? ~*Donna*~ Helgeson ~*Donna*~ eternity@con2.com

Hi Marguerite,

I too remember the sugar cubes and always wondered why no one else seemed to. It's also so very synchronistic that the whole TB business came up in here. I was going to write about it last week, and then held back. I'll explain.

I was at Sea View Theatre last week tweaking the lights for the present performance when my partner and I got to talking about all of the abandoned buildings on the grounds. It's utterly incredible. We've had that talk before but this time we decided to do a bit of "investigating". Can you believe that there is still "stuff" inside those buildings? Yep! And lots of it too. I don't know much at all about that time or the circumstances but it must have been a horror for those involved. Being in those buildings I felt like I was walking on graves. Seriously. It's like a ghost town there. There are stories in those buildings. Many of them. Perhaps we'll never REALLY know what went on in them, but just to SEE them, was an experience....which leads me to the reason why I held back from mentioning this last week. I was thinking of taking my camera back there for pictures. I'm not so sure if I will or not any more....as after I went in two of the buildings I though about the possibility of asbestos. Believe me when I tell you the buildings are in shambles. I was actually happy to get out of there when we left. Not just because of the dirtiness, but because of the whole aura of it. I looked at the empty gurneys and the vacant beauty parlor chairs and the huge bright lights that I don't even want to begin to imagine what were used for, and all I could think of was the PEOPLE! Good LORD! Did they sit there waiting to DIE????

I personally think it's a very "sad" place to be in.....and I'm not sure if I have the stamina to ever go exploring in there again....but this one excursion was some eye opener! In a word it was: YUCK!

~*Donna*~

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.