Staten Island Web logo

"The Tech Rep" By James Michener; Continued:

"The tape had come to one of the songs that Holt liked most. SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY. I HEARD IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A CAMP ON IWO JIMA. I WAS A KID EIGHTEEN. I WONDERED IF I WOULD KNOW ANY BEAUTIFUL WOMEN LIKE THE ONES I HEARD SINGING WITH THE BIG BANDS. YOU KNOW, HELEN FORREST AND MARTHA TILTON. OR BEA WAIN, FOR THAT MATTER. He hesitated. IT WASN'T THAT I WAS AFRAID OF BEING KILLED. I'D SEEN SO MANY MEN GET IT THAT I KNEW IT WAS PURE CHANCE. LIKE HUMPHREY BOGART WHEN HE WAS FIGHTING SYDNEY GREENSTREET FOR THE STATUE.

He rewound and reversed the tape again so he could hear SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY again, and said nothing till it played through, heavy with the longing of old nights. When the tape passed on to I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN, he turned down the volume and said, SO WHEN I GOT HOME SAFE AND SAW THIS REALLY TERRIFIC GIRL IN CHEMISTRY...WE GOT MARRIED...I WANTED TO WORK OVERSEAS...TO HELL WITH WYOMING AND COLORADO... He laughed. YOU EVER TRY AND MAKE A WOMEN FROM FORT MORGAN, COLORADO, HAPPY AT YESILKOY?

We played music till dawn: JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS, I'LL NEVER SMILE AGAIN, SYMPHONY. When Ella Fitzgerald sang I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN, Holt repeated the tape three times."

To be continued:

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.