Staten Island Web logo

Politics or Family, Con't Charlie Joseph CharlieJ cajoseph@us.hsanet.net As convoluted as rs' explanation seems, it's about the best explanation on INS workings I've seen. Having worked for INS for 19 years, I can tell you, if it ain't in the book (US Code), it ain't. Period. They are more rigidly bound by the laws enacted by congress than you could believe. I once had an instructor who refused to answer any question in class. He would thunder, "Read the appropriate section. If it doesn't say you can't, then you can. If it doesn't say you can, then you can't. Period"

Re-read that. Think about it. Where does that leave anyone except maybe a judge or the AG, trying to make a judgement. Now, I'm not picking on INS, I think most are dedicated, good people (except maybe that guy in Miami who was selling information), but the organization has essentially built a system of marionettes.
Having said that, now look at the flipside. Allowing each adjudicating agent too much judgement. What do you end up with? Virtual anarchy. Rules governed by every Tom, Dick and Harry's opinion. No consistency. Charges of preference (at the low level - we already know there is at the congressional level).

Answer - Back to the book. If it says--etc. etc.

Charliej

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.