Staten Island Web logo

No Topic Robert Sheridan bobsheridan bobsheridan@earthlink.net Thanks for the compliment, JR, on behalf of me and the other seeing eye dogs. I never heard that analogy before, about the law being blind and us being the seeing eye dogs. I like that. Not too fond of the S-word, I'll have to admit, as I've spent a lifetime trying to avoid doing the things conjured up by that epithet for "bad lawyer."

It was also interesting to see you write that you've seen everything from bad moving violations to unwarranted felonies straightened out by the right question at the right time put by someone who had remained awake in law school. I've seen this happen many times, and tried to ask that right question myself when I could. It ain't always easy to come up with the right one at the right time when you're all worked up about something, so you sometimes bury the point in a mass of verbiage if you don't watch out.

The peculiar thing about the charges that get brought (I spent seven years prosecuting and have spent twenty-six years in private practice, defending), is that they're brought by people who get dressed one leg at a time just like you and me.

There's a lot of human emotion, judgment, and misjudgment that goes into who gets charged with what, how much, and for how long. The deck is pretty stacked and Murphy's Law seems to be the big one in some cases.

I know of a guy (not my client) who is pleading guilty to something he otherwise denies doing, but which is a lot less than he risks getting nailed for if he doesn't, precisely because all he sees is Murphy's Law (if something can go wrong, it will) happening at every turn in his matter.

Since I know someone else (who is my client), in the same boat, doing the same thing, for the same reason, I have to say that avoiding the risk of human failure in the way the justice system operates is a big part of trying to do the right thing when representing someone or when you're otherwise mixed up with the law.

What I found so interesting was in having you point this out so succinctly based on observation. It's one thing to have the lawyers point this out (the discount rate seems to be huge when we say it), but it means a lot more when sharp-eyed observers not tainted by known membership in this much-maligned profession point their finger at it.

I understand the reasons for the maligning of lawyers, just as I understand why politicians and journalists dwell in the basement of the house in which we all live.

Kinda hard to get along without 'em, though.

Just remember, Shakespeare was just kidding when he said "The first thing we do is, we kill all the lawyers."

He wuz, wasn't he?

Wasn't he?

-rs

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.