Staten Island Web logo

Cemetery Marguerite Rivas sipoet marguer161@aol.com I don't know if you have seen any of my posts elsewhere. I believe I posted some information on the Rootsweb mailing list. The Quarantine to which you refer burned in September 1858. There were burying grounds within the confines of quarantine. Some of the headstones were moved to Silver Lake, I believe. I would have to check this for you. I do know, from newspaper and book accounts, that there was a burial ground, of unmarked graves, in another section of Staten Island called Seguine's Point. The dead were taken there by boat because of the fear of infection if they went over land. It is also my understanding that some victims were buried secretly for this reason in the area now known as Silver Lake golf course. There may not be, I'm afraid, too many records available. After the quarantine burned, there was another quarantine established on islands off of Staten Island. I would check the United States Public Health Service and ask them. They were the agency that administered the quarantine. I think they have a website somewhere.
I'll check my research notes to see if I can give you anything more substantial. Good luck. Feel free to e-mail me.
Marguerite

P.S. The only remnant of the original quarantine that I know of is a cornerstone which is housed in the archives of the Staten Island Historical Society.

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.