Staten Island Web logo

Here's Da Way It Is Harry White hrwhite leighnharry@earthlink.net Hey rs,
Being mentioned by name made me a bit defensive. Sorry I guess I was a bit over sensitive.
Born SI Hospital by candle light many years ago. Mother from Manhattan. Father a native Staten Islander. Grew up in Grant City. SJHA, PS-41 and NDHS (class '55). Joined the Navy and ended up in Maryland at NSA. Converted to civilian status and had a wonderful career. Retired in '96. Spend winters in Mammoth CA. Spend summers traveling the country in a travel trailer.
Fond memories of years on SI include:
summers spent at Midland Beach where my grandparents rented an apartment on the beach; surf fishing along the shore; freshwater fishing at Bradys Pond, Wolf Park Pond and in the ponds behind the New Dorp Moravian Church (in the boy scout camp); ice skating on Camorns Pond (sp) behind the Old Mill. Also many Saturday mornings at the SI Zoo. Racing a model sailboat, made in PS41 shop class, on Clove Lake Pond.
Friday night movies at the Lane theater, Saturdays roller skating at the New Dorp roller rink. Malts and burgers at Martys on New Dorp Lane. Swimming at the pool in Thompkensville (sp). Hanging out at Cosmos drive in (I actually made hamburgers for them in a little shop on Richmond Rd).
My favorite bakery was Budas on Richmond Rd. I worked there for a year as a doughnut cook. Best hard rolls I ever ate. Crumbbuns were equally good. Favorite pizza was Nunzios, Midland Ave and Hylan Blvd.
My biggest regret is that I never returned to SI and never kept intouch with my many friends. I left in '55 and never returned. My only contact with SI has been via this site. Last summer Corsair visited and brought his NDHS yearbook. We had a nice long visit chatting about the Island and looking through the yearbook.
It is difficult to remember names and places after a 45 year absence. I had thought about going back to SI this September for a class reunion. I have since decided not to return to SI. If I were to go to SI I would not be returning to a place that I remembered, I would be going to a new place that has no resemblance to where I grew up. While my memories lack detail I do not want what is left to be shattered by the changes that have taken place.
I enjoy my many new SI e-friends met here and have corresponded with many via email. I like this place.
Harry

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.