Staten Island Web logo

Elections 2000 Pat O'Shaughnessy patos patoshaughnessy@juno.com One thing is for certain Viet-Nam affected us all whether you served or not. For the last 30 yrs there is not a day goes by that I don't think about it whether it be a good memory or bad. Not that I dwell on it but there is always a reminder one way or another. The hardest thing I've ever had to deal with is people calling it a waste or insignificant. The worst was a few weeks ago when I was at my parents house. My Dad who also holds a purple heart looked at one of those time-life video ads about Viet-Nam and said we should not have been over there. Now I've been hearing this crap for 30 yrs and if it wasn't my Dad, and we weren't both Grandpa's I might have taken a swing or at least a hearty F**k you. I have heard this crap about Quayle,Gore,G.W. Bush
and the rest of being in safe assignments and I told him so.
There were reserves and national guard who served in Viet-Nam . Where-ever anyone served whether it was in the states or a combat zone my answer to him applies to all servicemen of that era as well as myself. What I said was " If I had shamed you and went to Canada you would not speak to me this day. It's been a long time and I've heard it all but when it was my turn at bat I stood up to the plate and no one will ever take that away from me." Just because you weren't in a combat situation doesn't mean at times you weren't 72 hrs away from it. Back to the point of this thread I might have been an infantryman but as miserable as that was at times I never had to be a P.O.W.. RS might have signed a paper today I would have signed yesterday

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.