Staten Island Web logo

Huguenot Robert Sheridan bobsheridan bobsheridan@earthlink.net The reference below to Huguenot calls to mind something I read in Kevin Phillips's "The Cousin's War," in which he traces the demographics of the various sides of the U.S. Civil War, the American Revolution, and the English Civil War (aka Glorious Revolution) of around 1649. He says that they are all connected, three innings of the same ballgame, as it were.

Along the way he discusses the Huguenots.

The Huguenots were the Protestants of France. They met a bad end in around 1560 with the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, in which Catholics massacred tens of thousands of Protestant men, women and children, for the sake of Jesus, upholding the faith, etc.

Surviving Huguenots who weren't driven underground, fled to England and the New World, some settling on StatNisland, I dunno when. Result, the Huguenot district of S.I. They were generally skilled artisans and small business keepers, weaving etc. England greatly benefited from their in-migration, and I'm sure S.I. did as well.

France, being France, suffered from the loss, but whaddya gonna do about France, a form of insanity all its own, objectively speaking, that is.

I wonder what happened to the slave owning and trading Dutchmen of S.I.'s Olde Dayes.

StatNisland was always out of step with future history.

Slave owning and trading;

Sided strongly with the British during the American Revolution;

Voted against the admission to the Union of Hawaii and Alaska around 1958, courtesy of Republican Congressman Ray;

Whatta buncha assh*les StatNislanders are.

Anybody got any excuses?

Was it the water, do you think, or the genes?

-rs

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.