Staten Island Web logo

JR wrote:
"At 7:00 a.m., an alert operator of an Army radar station at Opana spotted the approaching first wave of the attack force. The officers to whom those reports were relayed did not consider them significant enough to take action. The report of the submarine sinking was handled routinely, and the radar sighting was passed off as an approaching group of American planes due to arrive that morning."

Yesterday's "Stars&Stripes" had a story by the man who was the officer that received the report from the radar operator. He stands by his decision not to sound the alert. The radar was very primitive in those days and they had another standard code: When the local radio station played continuous Hawaiian music it was a signal that a group of our planes were returning to Hickham field. Since that was the SOP, he went by those rules and assumed that they were our aircraft coming in. He is now 80years old and retired as a light Colonel who later flew missions in Korea. A congressional board found him completely innocent of any wrong doing. In his opinion, the alarm should have been sounded by the higher ranking officers when they received word about the Japanese mini-sub being engaged and sunk...He did not hear about that until after the attack.

Yeah, I enlisted in the Navy on 7 December 1959. I wanted to help get even with Japan, I guess. When I got over there, I found they were people just like us.

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.