Staten Island Web logo

Jan, the book I'm enjoying is entitled "Lindbergh" by A. Scott Berg, Berkley Books, N.Y., Sept., 1999, (G.Putnam's Sons, 1998). Sorry I didn't give the title or author when I made the reference.

The book is very interesting for its subject and the description of the conflict between he isolationists and interventionists before Pearl Harbor. I'd been aware of the controversy, but not the details or Lindbergh's role in it.

What's not very edifying is the picture of Lindbergh as a person in general, that is, away from his intense focus on whatever it was he was involved with, from his 1927 solo flight to speaking against opposing Germany in the '30s. His isolationism and the reasons for it are disheartening to someone who only knew of him as a flying hero.

His treatment of his wife, the writer Anne Morrow Lindbergh, is sad and shows him to be something of an obsessive nutcake. For example, during the Cold War, he didn't want her going to the dentist because the Russians were supposedly tampering with the water supply. When she wanted to replace the kitchen-stove, he wanted a full report on the economics, the utility, and the military, repeat military, implications. That sounded a little weird.

So the book is not "enjoyable" in a conventional sense. It's more like heroes have feet of clay and if you want to read about a hero, you're going to have to inspect the feet.

-rs

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.