Staten Island Web logo

Never having served in the armed forces, I have total respect for those who did. My experience is limited to movies such as Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Saving Private Ryan, and such as that. I cannot imagine what actually being in those situations could have been like as the movies were horrifying enough. I was old enough to remember the Vietnam vets coming home and the horrible way they were treated. Having said that, I guess the point I was trying to make was that America is a land of great diversity, and our vets fought for the right of all of us to display our pride in our origins. If flags were flown for the sole purpose of insulting or degrading the American flag, then I would agree with what you say about the flag flying-however, I am proud to say that we are one of the few nations on earth that has such a diversity of people and a great tolerance for viewpoints of all kinds. I did not know anyone who died in any war, but I will acknowledge the sacrifices made by those who fought. I do not know that I could ever have the courage to do the same, but I applaud you and all vets!

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.