Staten Island Web logo

Ok, I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but the reality of what things cost struck home today and I guess I wasn't ready for it.

Since it was Veteran's Day and we both had the day off, my eight year old and I spent the day together. At lunch time we did the fast food thing. Since he wanted a whopper for lunch, but doesn't like Burger King fries, we went through the McDonald's drive through to pick up fries. At the squak box we ordered a medium fries -- one order of medium fries. The voice told me that the bill was $1.76. It didn't register at first, but as we slowly moved to the window it hit me what she had said -- $1.76 for an order of fries. I was sure she was mistaken and had probably rang up 2 orders of fries, so when we got to the window, I said to the girl "I think there's a mistake, the amount is $1.76 and I only ordered one order of fries." She looked at me like I was from another planet (she was only 16 or 17) and said, "Well,yeah, medium fries are $1.76" I just looked at her, paid and got my son's fries. As we drove away I just kept muttering $1.63 for fries? at McDonalds? My son looked at me and said "Mom, get used to it, life's expensive."

Now my question is, where I have I been where a medium order of fries can cost $1.76? Didn't regular fries used to cost 15 cents? McDonalds is supposed to be cheap food. We pay less than that for fries at the local diner! What is this world coming to?

I warned you ahead of time I was going to sound like an idiot. But my family and friends are laughing at me and I needed to vent somewhere. Thank you for listening.

mimi

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.