Staten Island Web logo

Smoke 'em if you got'em, 'cause it won't be too long before they'll be gone. Maybe not in our lifetime, but the tar & nicotine stains are on the wall. Cigarettes will eventually be legislated right out of the mouths of smoker across the land.

I think we can all agree that smoking is harmful to the health of smokers and those around them. And it is evident, that the legions of anti-smokers is growing in size, strength, and conviction every day. I guess that's good. I just think it is unfortunate for smokers caught in the middle.

Once upon a time, smoking was as acceptable, as say, not having car safety seats for your kids, or dumping used oil in you backyard, or not wearing a helmet when you rode your bike, or buying a 6-pack of beer when you were 18, or driving your car no matter how bad it smoked, or catching as many fish as you wanted, or spraying DDT on anything and everything that crawled, or buying a can of freon to recharge your car's AC, etc., etc., etc.

As these "little" freedoms have passed, so shall the freedom to smoke in public and I won't be surprised when I see a lawsuit filed by someone against his or her smoking parents (maybe it has already happened). I guess what I am saying is that the anti-smoking laws already on the books and those that are sure to follow can either be viewed as one more usurpation of our rights and freedoms or as a realization that smoking, as were the things listed above, is bad for us and should be stopped.

Either way you view it, it's gonna happen. So, as I said before, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em (while you still got 'em)!"

Rolling Stone

BTW, I quit a 2 1/2 pack a day habit 30 years ago. Not because it was bad or expensive, or because some else said I should. I quit because I no longer enjoyed it.

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.