Staten Island Web logo

"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." Matthew 19:24

Art,

I can't even remember what string it was right now (not enough Morning coffee I suppose *LOL*) but I did promise to address something that you and I spoke about and so now I will.

Please understand that what I'm about to say her is in NO WAY meant to "preach" anything to you, or to anyone else or that matter. I'm merely extrapolating on my original statement to you that though many repeat the above Bible verse they do not truly understand it.

I have taught this lesson many times, to many students. What I'm about to say is not meant to be persuasion *S*. I submit it only for your evaluation and the evaluation of anyone else interested.

And on the subject of persuasion (since that's what I felt your neighbors jestures were akin to)...I'd like to post out that in my estimation profound and Universal Truth does not need "persuasion"...it is easily recognized and felt. If, after I speak my peace, you or anyone else reading does not feel that that I believe speaks the Truth, then I respectfully accept your right to feel whatever way that you do and I hope that you too will respectfully my right to feel the way that I feel....

and to understand the ~Spirit~ in which I present it.

Here goes! *S*

The above Bible passage is addressing THE WAY that one gains entrance into the kingdom of God. The message is that it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the kingdome of God. Now let's break it down and examine it.

What does Jesus (who the quote is attributed to) mean by it? Well, for starters, if you've ever seen the eye of a needle (and I'm quite sure that you have) it WOULDN'T be easy for a camel to pass through! *LOL* Jesus then went on to say: "...than for a rich man to enter the kindgom of heaven." This is the important part!

The moment many Bible readers see that....they immediately equate "rich" with material gain. Contrary to what many think, Jesus did not come to teach anyone how to (directly *S*) handle their finances. Jesus came to speak to the HEARTS of men. That's a ~Spiritual~ domain, not a material domain. In fact, he even went on elsewhere to specifically address the different domains. I'm in a rush right now so I don't have the time to search for it, but in essence when people who came to hear his parables talked about the unethical tax collectors.....Jesus said something like: Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar. (I can't remember what the exact passage is or I'd put it in verbatim.) By saying that, he was ~releasing~ both himself as well as them from JUDGING the tax collectors and well as from focusing on money. He was also stressing that it was NOT what he came to do.

So! What you may ask did he mean when he mentioned the "rich" man? To explain that I have to turn your attention to something called: The Beatitudes. I'm sure you must know them but if you don't or if anyone reading along is interested, I will post them for you at another time. Anyway, one of the Beatitudes is: (Matthew 5:3) Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. To be asked by Jesus to be "poor in Spirit" always confuses my students...until I explain! *S* It also confused ME as a child. I'll now explain it to you here.

To be asked to be "poor in Spirit" does not mean to LACK or have a DEFICIT in Spirit. Not at all. What it does asks of us however is to adopt the Spirit of a Poor Person. Think about a "Poor person"....and what that means. Does a "Poor person" ever feel BETTER than anyone? Of course not. Does a "Poor person" put material things first? Of course not. They can't! Does a "Poor person" feel like they don't need anyone else??? Of course not! They're at the mercy of all others around them.

Jesus's request that we be "poor in Spirit" is as I said...a call to adopt the ~Spirit~ of a Poor man....a man NEEDING others...a man with a NON Material focus. Rich Men....men who are "rich in Spirit"...don't need any one or any thing....do they?

As for the rich man not fitting through the eye of the needle...well.....

If you're NOT intrinsically connected to and in full realization of your equality with others ...well then you're also not Loving your neighbor as yourself. To love one's neighbor AS oneself....is for there to be total equality.

A man with a "RICH ~Spirit" ...or attitude......exhaults him/herself.

Real Chrisitianity is about ONENESS.

Again...it's not about anyone's financial status...it's about the ~SPIRIT~ in which you live your life!

If you happen to be a person with A LOT of "material goods" and you use them to help others ....

....You're living in the REAL world with the Highest manifestation.

You're also a living example of someone who is ~Poor in Spirit~! *S*

I hope all of that made sense! I'm in a rush to get to Church *LOL*....so I don't really even have the time to read my post over!!!!

I'll be back later if anyone wants to discuss it! If not....that's o.k. too! I promised Art that I would explain that...and I wanted to keep my word! *S*

Love & Light~*

~*Donna*~

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.