Staten Island Web logo

Sorry, I don't remember Wayne Barker.

I lived on Simonson Ave. just north of Walker. We hung out at Schultz' grocery store on the corner. Some of my old buddies were: Johnny Baldi, Kenny Piscopo, Eddie Roche, Joey Nigro, Sal & Willie Madalone, and Francis "Babbo" Wisczinski.

I also remember two guys who lived down Simonson Ave. towards the trestle. I never knew their real names, only Butch and Duke. They were our bitter enemies, but for the life of me, I don't know why. When my family moved to MH, the kids in the neighborhood told me that there was a long-standing feud with Butch, Duke, and their "gang" and I went along with it.

Sometimes, if one of us had to walk down Simonson towards Richmend Terrace, they would chase after us. We, of course, would return the favor if we saw them getting off the bus at Walker and Simonson.

In the winter, we would have marathon snowball fights against them. In the fall, our weapon of choice was horse chestnuts. Man, would those chestnuts smart, especially if you got clocked in the head with one of 'em! Halloween meant eggs for our long-range artillery and for hand-to-hand combat: socks filled with flour.

As I look back, I don't think anyone ever got seriously hurt during our never-ending feud with that band of ruffians, save for a few knots on our hard heads!

Hey Butch, Duke, if you're out there, drop me a line. I think it's time to call a truce. Whaddya say?

DJ Covey
Huntsville, AL

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.