Staten Island Web logo

Anonymous....

Since your above post seems to be promoting the glycyrrhizin aspect of Liquorice I feel obliged to post a ~clarification~ on the glorification of it. There are important and potentially LIFE THREATENING aspects of it that you have failed to mention.

Yes, of the 150 plus chemical compounds in the medicinal root, glycyrrhizin (or glycyrrhizinic acid) is the most active compound. And, glycyrrhizin IS 50 times sweeter than sucrose. AND, the addition of one pound of glycyrrhizin will actually double the sweetness of 100 pounds of white sugar. However....as neat and dandy as that may sound....

...the DOWNside to glycyrrhizinic still outweighs any possible "UPside". In fact, Europeans will ONLY use the de-glycyrrhinized root. (Yes, there is one!)

Unfortunately uninformed Americans and Canadians do still continue to use the kind with glycyrrhizin and put themselves in jeopardy.

For "traditional" validation I submit the following: In the medical journal "GUT" (9:48, 1968) it cautions that use of glycyrrhizin causes: "edema, heartburn, congestive cardiac failure and headaches."

In lieu of that, medical professionals and herbalogists strongly recommend NOT purchasing the licorice root with glycyrrhizin as a component.

I happen to ~dabble~ in Herbology~* *S*

~*Donna*~

Staten Island WebŪ Forums Index.